Counselling in Benfleet, Essex
My name is Emma Litman and I am a BACP Counsellor and NLP, EFT & Spectrum Coach based in Benfleet, Essex. I specialise in working with clients who are feeling stuck & struggling with Trauma, Relationship problems, Anxiety and Depression.
I work with Adults and Children aged 9+
fully Enhanced DBS checked
Offering Face to Face Benfleet, Essex/ Online/ Telephone Appointments
Text or Call to Book a Free Telephone consultation
INDIVIDUAL SESSIONS £50
Counselling Room Benfleet Essex
I can offer you a Caring, Confidential & Safe space, where you can explore your problems, to truly help you find a way forward and find solution, in any way you need using specialist Counselling and Coaching techniques.
I can help you with problems you are struggling with, such as:
- Panic disorder
- Relationship Issues
- Learning to Say NO when you want to/ People pleasing others
- Creating Confidence
- Domestic Abuse
- PTSD/ Trauma
- Becoming Mindful: Being in the moment
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Work related issues
Thankyou for being such a great counsellor. You helped me come through some of my darkest days and I actually can say hand on heart…I love myself more than I could ever imagine. Thankyou again!
- Domestic Abuse
- Family and Relationship Issues
- Problems at Work
- Abuse in Childhood/ CPTSD
- Children aged 9+
- Transactional Analysis (TA)
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Attachment based
- Self Assertion Skills
- Guided techniques in Hypnotherapy
- Person Centred
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) with Eye Movement Desensitisation 9 Gamut
Type of Session
- In person
- £50 per counselling hour
Do You suffer from Anxiety and/or Panic Attacks?
The fight/flight/freeze (sympathetic nervous system) is a ‘Healthy & Normal’ response to danger however sometimes it can get ‘stuck’ on or arise around being around certain people, places or situations.
The sympathetic nervous system is the human bodies built-in alarm system i.e. Fight/ Flight/ Freeze...
This system is useful when in dangerous/ stressful situations.
- If our body stays in our Sympathetic system, we can suffer symptoms such as Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Depression and Chronic Stress.
- The sympathetic nervous system (SNS) causes an involuntary/ automatic response in us to fight, flight or freeze when in actual or assumed, dangerous or stressful situations.
More details about the Sympathetic Nervous System
- Fight/flight/ freeze involuntary response is caused by a raise in hormones from our adrenal glands.
- These glands produce epinephrine, commonly known as Adrenaline.
- Adrenaline puts our bodies into a state of hyper alertness/ hyper-arousal, raise our heart rate and send extra blood to the muscles causing us to be ready for action to fight/flight or freeze.
- Adrenaline is the cause of profuse sweating, rapid heartbeat, tense muscles, hyper alertness/ hypervigilence and shortness of breath that we associate with stress, anxiety and panic attacks
- If the danger persists or is ‘assumed’ to persist our brain will keep instructing the adrenal glands to produce the hormone cortisol to keep the stress response flowing to protect us causing symptoms of chronic anxiety.
These are common worries that you might be struggling with about starting counselling:
I'm not good at explaining myself / I don't know where to start/ Too much has happened to explain / I don't know whats wrong/ I just feel upset and stuck
As a professional counsellor I have been trained specifically to help you to unpack your problem by asking you guided questions about your thoughts, actions, emotions and feelings in your body such as feeling tension or butterflies. My questions will help you to start to form answers to help you better understand your issue and help you feel more in control.
I feel really embarressed/ ashamed about my problem
I love my job and helping clients overcome shame and embarrassment is so important to me. I know on a personal level and with working with my clients how these feelings eat us up inside, causing us to keep secrets and make us feel we are unloveable and unworthy. I am truly here to help you, not to judge you. We can gently unpack what is causing you to think and feel this way about your problem and work to get you to a place of self forgiveness and acceptance.
I'm worried my problem is not as bad as other people who probably have bigger problems than me
How you think and and feel about your problem is totally personal and relative to you. This question also means you have compared yourself to others. If your friend was in the same position would you want them struggling alone?
I feel hopeless about my problem and don't think it can be changed
I would say although counselling may not be able to change what has happened or is happening, it can help to change the unhelpful thoughts you have around it. Counselling also helps us process our feelings/ emotions that arise from situations and helps us make better decisions and take more helpful action around the situation.
I don't trust people or trust very few people, I don't know if I will be able to trust a counsellor
If you have suffered from a very distressing or disturbing experience i.e. you have experienced a Trauma
Or/ and you have had a difficult time in your childhood and/or adulthood involving your family members/ caregivers/ partners/ friends/ school/ work...
Or/ and you have experienced any form of physical or emotional abuse, rejection and abandonment, it is very COMMON and NORMAL to lack trust in others...
It would be absolutely natural to wonder if you would be able to trust me as your counsellor. Trust is something that builds over time from getting to know me and feeling accepted, appreciated and being allowed to be who you really are, rather than what people or society want you to be.
TA, CBT + Person Centred
Emotional Freedom Technique
Neuro Linguistic Programming